Monday, November 29, 2021

20 Years of Priesthood: A Miracle of God's Love

Wednesday of the First Week of Advent


December 1, 2021

Readings: Please click here to read in full.
    Reading I: Is 25:6-10a
    Responsorial Psalm: Ps 23:1-3a, 3b-4, 5, 6
    Gospel: Mt 15:29-37

For my ordination to the priesthood 20 years ago, I chose the theme "To become a living sacrament of the Love of God." Through the years, I always ask myself, have I become a living sacrament of God’s love? Yes, I believe so, for it is not my own doing but God’s. It is not entirely my effort, but God’s grace first and foremost. God called me, formed me, ordained me and sent me on a mission because His "heart is moved with pity for the crowd" (Mt. 15:32). He made me a living sacrament of His love, as all of us are, so that the pity He feels for His people may become visible and tangible. I believe that through the assignments I have been given, God has responded to the needs of His people with whatever little I have. 

In the Gospel, Jesus apportioned from what the disciples had, even just seven loaves and a few fish (Mt. 15:34) to feed the hungry crowd of "four thousand men, not counting women and children" (Mt. 15:38). Jesus made use of the little given to him by the disciples. Similarly, he uses whatever we have, no matter how little, to make His love more tangible. This is why I said that I have, in truth, become a living sacrament of God’s love. In my priestly years, though most of these were spent as a parish priest, I cannot say that I have given something extraordinary. Yet, God made use of this, though it was small and imperfect. Since God does not require from us beyond the gifts He has given, I am confident that I can continue what He has made me, a living sacrament of His love.

I thank God for these grace-filled years of ministry, for being unconditionally patient with me and for loving me despite my weaknesses. I thank my brothers in the congregation, all my companions in my assignments, Fr. Roel, our Provincial Superior, and his council for your trust and confidence in me. I pray that, in the coming years of my priesthood, God may continue to provide for the hungry crowd through the 7 loaves and a few fish I can afford to offer.


As the Feeding of the Four Thousand was truly a miracle, my 20 years of priesthood is also a miracle, a miracle of God’s love that continues to feed His people in the Eucharist.


Fr. Joel R. Lasutaz, SSS


Image credit: catholic365.com

No comments:

Post a Comment